Cabinet decree no. (211) of 13-1-1437H gave the General Authority for Statistics (GASTAT) the right to conduct surveys in the economic, social and population fields on behalf of the kingdom and publishing them periodically. Based on this right, GASTAT has installed programs and surveys that aim to create a statistical database in all fields, including data and statistics of household sports practice with a view to giving a picture about the scale of societal participation in sports and exercise of physical activities and drafting studies and plans for development in general and the sports field in particular. As part of these surveys, GASTAT is working on conducting a field survey on household sports practice. International recommendations and standards of the International Labor Organization have been taken into account while preparing the survey methodology and designing the survey form.
Date of survey:
9/7/2017 – 12/8/2017
Household Sports Practice Survey
22/03/2018 TO 26/03/2018
Field researchers from GASTAT
Form of the Household Sports Practice Survey includes: Main sections that are filled by using hand devices "tablet" in nearly 50 minutes. The form includes:
1.Basic information of household members
2.Education and marital status.
3.Practice of sports activity.
The survey aims to provide new and updated indicators about the scale of household sports practice in addition to understanding the reasons of failing to practice it through the following:
1) Providing updated statistical data about the scale of sports practice in household by (the relationship with the head of the household, sex, nationality, educational level, age, marital status in addition to questions regarding the household sports practice).
2) Providing data about the rates of sports practice in household regularly at least once a week.
3) Providing data about the period of practicing sports in household for individuals by minutes through the week.
4) Providing data about the rates of practicing sports in specialized public facilities or (clubs/sports centers) that provide a proper place for practicing sports.
5) Providing data about how often the individual practices sports through the week.
6) Understanding reasons that cause the individual to stop practicing sports.
7) Understanding reasons that hinder the individual from practicing sports.
8) Getting to know the percentage of those who practice sports (at least once a week) out of the total population who are aged 10 year old and above.
9) Providing researchers, students and those interested with the necessary statistical data about sports practice in household for using it in the field of researches and scientific studies.
10) Giving a picture about the scale of societal participation in sports and practice of physical activity and the resulting studies and plans regarding development in general and the sports field in particular.
The survey covers all the administrative regions of Saudi Arabia by using a sample of households in these regions based on the updated framework of the census for year 1431H (2010). The administrative regions are divided into thirteen regions as follows:
1.Scope: Recognizing and pointing out the statistical requirements, and determining the possible solutions
2.Design: Designing all subsequent steps of the statistical process.
3.Organization: Preparing and testing all statistical work procedures
4.Collection: Data collection and verification.
5.Categorization: Data processing for converting data from initial data to statistical data.
6.Revision: Results verifications and explanation.
7.Publishing: Preparing outputs for publishing
8.Evaluation: Conducting a comprehensive evaluation of all stages of the statistical process.
9.Management: Administering all steps of the statistical process continuously.