What is the legal authority by which GASTAT abides for conducting Umrah Survey?
According to the general statistics law issued by the cabinet, GASTAT is the official agency entitled to carry out surveys and statistics. All information and data given by the citizen, resident or establishment are kept and dealt with in absolute secrecy.
In accordance with law No. 11 for 13/1/1437 AH issued by the Cabinet, it was approved to establish General Authority for Statistics (GASTAT). The improvement included the following:
- GASTAT is a legal public personality and is financially and administratively independent.
- GASTAT has an independent budget issued by a royal decree.
- GASTAT shall have an administrative council which has the authority to manage the Authority affairs headed by His Excellency the Minister of Economy and Planning. The members of the council shall include 15 governmental bodies and private sector agencies representing the most important partners of the Authority in statistical work.
- GASTAT is the statistics authority and the only official reference for conducting the statistical work and its technical supervisor and organizer.
- Forming a permanent coordinating committee to coordinate the statistical work between GASTAT and related agencies.
- Creating a central data system in GASTAT at the national level which is automatically connected with all bodies in concern.
- GASTAT can offer statistical services, conduct surveys, prepare researches and statistical studies and provide data to private establishments and business sector in a commercial style subject to fees and charges. It can make use of its financial revenues in funding and developing statistical and information services.