The General Authority for Statistics GASTAT is a governmental entity that enjoys an independent legal personality. GASTAT’s Board of Directors was formed by Cabinet Resolution No. (11) dated 13-1-1437 AH, under the chairmanship of HE the Minister of Economy and Planning, and the membership of: the Minister of Commerce, Minister of Finance, Minister of Human Resources and Social Development, Minister of Education, Minister of Industry and Mineral Resources. In addition to their Excellencies: Director of the National Information Center, President of the General Authority for Statistics, and two other specialized in the field of GASTAT work; appointed by a decision from the Council of Ministers and based on the nomination of the Board’s Chairman. The Chairman of the Board selects the Board’s Deputy from the Ministers the members of the Board.
GASTAT is the only official statistical reference for statistical data and information in Saudi Arabia. Statistical censuses such as the general population, housing and establishments’ census are considered the most important products of GASTAT, in addition to the results of field surveys, periodic statistical publications and indicators in the economic, social, health, educational and agricultural fields, labor force indicators and indices. GASTAT provides public and private entities with any statistical data or indicators they need in various fields; in order to support policy and decision-makers in these entities to move forward in implementing the developmental plans, in addition to meeting the requirements of international organizations for official statistics in accordance with statutory procedures. GASTAT also provides its services and statistical products through a huge digital base for data, indicators, and statistics of various development fields in Saudi Arabia in different forms and multimedia. That is to facilitate the obtaining of the statistical data and information by the clients in a quick and efficient way, and at the highest level of transparency, accuracy, and integration between the components of the statistical sector.
To become one of the leading modern statistical institutes worldwide.
To provide statistical information at the highest quality level on the main phenomena of the country’s society, economy and environment.
- Customer focus
- Implementation of all statistical work in Saudi Arabia
- Technical supervision of the statistical sector in Saudi Arabia.
- Supervise the implementation of the national strategy for statistical work in Saudi Arabia in coordination with the relevant entities.
- Prepare, use, update, and develop national statistical guides and classifications in accordance with international standards.
- Prepare and disseminate statistical publications and reports for field surveys and statistical research.
- Supervise the creation of a comprehensive system of national databases for various statistical fields with data sources.
- Transfer knowledge, spread statistical awareness, and provide recommendations to public entities to develop all information systems and methodologies for statistical work.
- Provide public entities, private establishments, individuals, and international bodies with official statistics in accordance with statutory procedures.
In its journey towards national transformation, the General Authority for Statistics aims to achieve several strategic objectives for the development of statistical work in Saudi Arabia. To this end, it relies on a number of important pillars:
|Implementation of all statistical work in Saudi Arabia||Include: design and implement field surveys, conduct statistical studies and research, collect, analyze, write, and tabulate data and extract its indicators, document and preserve statistical information and data.|
|Technical supervision of the statistical sector in Saudi Arabia||Include: a set of statistical centers and units established within the administrative structures of government entities and some private sector institutions.|
Prepare national statistical guides and classifications
|GASTAT prepares, uses, updates and develops national statistical guides and classifications in accordance with international standards, such as National Classification for Economic Activities, Saudi Standard Classification of Occupations based on the International Classification (ISCO_08), and the Unified Saudi Classification for the Educational Levels and Specializations based on the International Classification (ISCED 11, 13). A draft Saudi classification for non-profit organizations is being prepared.|